Friday, February 4, 2011

The Things They Carried

My name is Kiowa, I am a solider in the U.S. Army and a Devout Baptist and also i am a Native American. I am on my way to Vietnam to fight in the Vietnam War. I am humping my way through the jungles and different areas and i carry quite a few different things with me. Some of them are personal and some well they are standard issue.

As i hump around the jungle these are the things i carry:
Personal:

1. A illustrated New Testament
2.  My grandfather's old hunting hatchet
3. And also i carry my grandmother's distrust for the white man.

Standard Issue:

1. A steel helmet that weighed 5 pounds
2. Fatigue jackets and troucover
3. On our feet we carried/wore jungle boots which weighed 2.1 pounds
4. A steel-centered, nylon-covered flak jacket, which weighed about 6.7 pounds
5. A large compress bandage in our helmets for easy access
6. Last but not least, a green plastic poncho to sleep on, wear and if we happened to be killed to wrap us in.

I also bring with me, a different perspective from that of my fellow soldiers to the unfortunate events that befall the Alpha Company.


http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_01_img0129.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I like how you describe and list things that they carried it shows the persons personality.

    ReplyDelete